- Many of our physicians perform circumcisions in the office:
- It is our preference to perform circumcision in the office and not in the hospital. Not all of our physicians perform circumcision.
- You have until the baby is about two weeks of age to perform circumcision. Please let us know when you call to book your first appointment that you are interested in scheduling circumcision also.
- The latest statement on circumcision from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) came out in August 2012 and still states that the decision for circumcision should still be left up to parents in the context of religious, ethical and cultural beliefs. They state that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision. To see the AAP site and links to various articles please visit this link.
- The doctors use a local anesthetic shot at the base of the penis before circumcision.
- After your appointment, you will be allowed to feed the baby and you will be asked to wait about 20 minutes, so the doctor can check the circumcision for bleeding.
- Do not feed the baby for one and a half to two hours before the appointment to reduce the risks of the baby spitting up or vomiting during the procedure.
- Bring a t-shirt, blanket and extra diaper for the visit.