October 6, 2013 — We will have our 4th annual Halloween Candy Buy Back with Davis Pediatric Dentistry and Yoshikane Orthodontics on Monday, November 4th between 2-5 PM in front of the 477 office, Suite B105. Your child can bring candy and receive $1 per pound of candy, up to $10 maximum. This candy is sent to our troops overseas as part of Operation Gratitude along with many other items that are donated. They will also receive in return an apple donated from Jimbo’s as long as supplies last. This has been a successful event in the past and we look forward to being a part of this again. See the FB page
October 6, 2013 — The seasonal flu vaccine is in and available for all ages eligible for the vaccine which includes all children over the age of 6 months. Currently we have:
- Injectable flu vaccine – We have this available for all ages 6 months and older. Please let your provider know if your child has egg allergy – this will depend on the severity of the allergy whether they can receive this or not. Also if they have had a history of Guillain-Barre syndrome or an anaphylactic reaction to a previous flu vaccine, they can not get the vaccine.
- Flumist – live viral nasal spray vaccine for children 2 and older. The same guidelines as injectable flu vaccine above apply to flumist and in addition: this can not be given to children under 5 years of age if they have recurrent wheezing or asthma in the last year; who have chronic disease such as heart, lung, diabetes or kidney failure; who have a weakened immune system; or have a very congested nose.
- Quadravalent flu vaccine (covers 4 strains of flu) that is injectable. Please understand that some HMO insurance may not cover the cost for this vaccine.
- Intradermal flu vaccine can be given only to people 18 years and older. Parents may request this vaccine for themselves and for patients over the age of 18. This is currently the only vaccine we can offer for the parents at this time, since we have to prioritize our other supply for patients first at this time in the season.
March 28, 2013
– There has been an outbreak of meningitis in Tijuana and San Diego, called meningococcal meningitis that typically affects older children, teens and young adults. There was a recent case of this bacteria in a one year old here in San Diego and a death of a 39 year old. This is a very serious and potentially deadly and rapidly progressive bacterial infection that affects healthy children and adults. [Read more...]
Well-child check up visits are the perfect time to provide vaccines to children. This is especially true because immunizations are one of the most powerful tools we have to keep children healthy. But vaccines are only one of the many things that parents can do to protect their children and improve their health.
January 9, 2013 — We are launching a new Teen Scene page with information for parents of teens as well as for our teens. We have started by creating a Stress Action Plan for teens to download.
January 2, 2013 – Thanks to all the patients who cast their votes in the office and also on our Facebook page for their favorite Holiday Door in our office. Our staff took time on weekends and after hours to make our exam doors “decked out” for the holidays. You can view them all at our Facebook page. Our winners were:
November 27, 2012 — This time of year, with colds and flu on the rise, children with known asthma can struggle with more bouts of their asthma. Triggers for asthma can include many things including: [Read more...]
September 14, 2012 — Our supplies of flu vaccine are in. We have the injectable inactivated flu vaccine and the Flumist, which is the live intranasal spray for children over 2 years without asthma. Recommendations are for all children 6 months and older to receive the vaccine. We do allow walk-in shots for patients Monday through Friday in B105 between 9 AM to 4 PM and no appointment is needed. SAVE TIME! Download our Flu Release Consent Form before you arrive and sign it (found also on our Forms page). We will be arranging days for staffing for our quick walk-up flu shot clinic in upcoming months, which are usually on Saturdays and after-school/evening hours.
September 13, 2012 — Our evening teen clinic, which will now be offered every other week, has been very popular. This is from 6-8 PM in the upstairs Satellite office where only teens are being seen. Dates and providers vary, so please contact the office to find out upcoming dates. Sports physicals for forms can be done which is a briefer physical, but your child must be up-to-date (within 2 years) of having had a regular full physical.